Sleepy Time (Episode)
|Airdate:|| 17 January 2000
Denmark:10 march 2003
|Previous Episode:||Karate Choppers|
|SpongeBob SquarePants||Tom Kenny|
|Patrick Star||Bill Fagerbakke|
|Squidward Tentacles||Rodger Bumpass|
|Mr. Krabs||Clancy Brown|
|Sandy Cheeks||Carolyn Lawrence|
|Mrs. Puff||Mary Jo Catlett|
|Pearl Krabs||Lori Alan|
Sleepy Time is an episode from Season 1.
- Mr. Krabs
- Karen (cameo, desktop form)
- Mrs. Puff
- Crowd at performance
- Moby Dollar
- Citizens of Bikini Bottom
- Bikini Bottom
- SpongeBob's Dream
- Squidward's Dream
- Patrick's Dream
- Sandy's Dream
- Mr. Krabs' Dream
- Pearl's Dream
- Plankton's Dream
SpongeBob has a dream that he is in a hot rod and he got his driver's license. Mrs. Puff also appears in this dream and tears out SpongeBob's license, and right after he is somehow 'propelled' out of his own dream cloud, he sees his real self. He realizes that he has no dream to go to, until he sees Gary's dream cloud. He jumps in, frightening Gary. He is in a vast library, and Gary appears to be humanoid and can speak English. SpongeBob goes out of Gary's dream cloud and into Patrick's. He is on a kiddie ride that costs 25 cents per ride. SpongeBob explains to him that in a dream, he can do whatever he wants. He demonstrates by turning into a skyscraper and making a million identical copies of himself. Patrick says he is already satisfied, and SpongeBob goes out of Patrick's dream cloud. Patrick then complains that he has run out of quarters. (This could be a hint towards Patrick's empty-mindedness.) Next, he goes to Squidward's dream cloud and sees what is going on. He is performing a clarinet solo in a theater, set in the 1700s because of the theme. He distracts the king and Squidward stops, and the king growls at him for not playing. After this happens several times, Squidward gets angry and snaps his clarinet, but SpongeBob saves him by turning into a clarinet. It produces no sound, but SpongeBob just sings, and everybody applauds. SpongeBob goes to a different dream, this time Sandy's. They are skydiving, and they have to land on a painted target. SpongeBob asks if it is safe, and Sandy says it is safe so long as he has a parachute. However, SpongeBob misinterprets this, and Sandy lands hard in a truck. SpongeBob decides to stop invading other's dreams. He goes to what he thinks is Mr. Krabs' dream, but actually is Pearl's dream. After realizing this, he immediately goes to Mr. Krabs' dream, where he's fishing money. SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs manage to catch Moby Dollar, but it escapes and SpongeBob is shot out of Mr. Krabs' dream cloud and into Plankton's. Plankton, in his dream, is bigger than the buildings and has laser-eyes. SpongeBob, misinterpreting this to be a nightmare, pokes him with a pin and Plankton deflates, and wakes up. SpongeBob then goes back to his own dream cloud, where everyone's angry faces appear and start spinning around him. When he wakes up, everyone is in his house complaining that he has ruined all of their dreams, until Patrick comes up and asks "Does anyone have a quarter?" because of his dream.
 Cultural references
- Moby Dollar is a parody of Moby Dick.
- The name that Squidward had in his dream, Wolfgang Amadeus Tentacles, is a pun of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
- In one scene, when Gary and SpongeBob are walking along the library, a book is shown close up. On the cover, the title says "Of Snails and Men", a reference to John Steinbeck's book Of Mice and Men.
- When SpongeBob tells Gary "Curiosity salted the snail," this is a reference to the classic line, "Curiosity killed the cat," as snails are portrayed as the cats of the sea.
 Associated Production Music
- Kaili Aloha - George de Frates (title card)
- Hawaiian Link (b) - Richard Myhill
- Killer Birds - Gregor F. Narholz (voices and faces of Squidward, Patrick, Pearl, Gary, Plankton, Mr. Krabs and Sandy hovering around SpongeBob's head.)
- Happy End - Gerhard Trede (the beginning of SpongeBob's dream)
- This marks the first time all of the ten main characters appear in the same episode.
- Karen's desktop form is seen for the first time, after Plankton wakes up from his dream.
- Gary says "Mind your wandering eye, you little poriferan" in his dream. This refers to how the sea sponge is in the phylum Porifera.
- In Sandy's dream, she says (before she falls) "You need a para-(splat!)medic." The closed captions incorrectly say "para-*splat*made it."
- Plankton is shown sleeping in the Chum Bucket with no pajamas, but in SpongeBob's house, he appears in pajamas.
- When Sandy is shown in her Treedome, she is not wearing any hair curlers. In SpongeBob’s house, she is wearing some.
- In a commentary for the DVD Tide and Seek, Tom Kenny comments that Gary looks like a Talosian (from Star Trek) in SpongeBob's dream.
- In the episode "Squeaky Boots", Mr. Krabs eyes are brown. However, in this episode, his driver's license says they are green.
- In Pearl's dream, there are framed photos of what look like the members of Boys Who Cry.
- When Sandy lands on the target, her bikini is pink.
- This and its sister episode Suds both have Fred say "My leg!" in them. This is very abnormal, as he usually only can be heard in one of the attached episodes.
- Music from the title card of the episode "Skill Crane" can be heard in Patrick's Dream.
- This episode marks the first time in which Plankton gets tall. The second is "Wishing You Well."
|Season 1 Season 2 →|