I Was a Teenage Gary (Episode)
|I Was a Teenage Gary|
|Airdate:||28 October 1999|
|Previous Episode:||Scaredy Pants|
|SpongeBob SquarePants||Tom Kenny|
|Patrick Star||Bill Fagerbakke|
|Squidward Tentacles||Rodger Bumpass|
I Was a Teenage Gary is an episode from Season 1.
- SpongeBob's House
- Squidward's House
- Conch Street
- Ukulele Bottom (mentioned)
- Blow the Man Down (in meows)
 PlotWhen SpongeBob is informed that the annual Jellyfishing convention in Ukulele Bottom is on this weekend, he replies that no-one will be here to take care of Gary, and that he can't come. He asks Squidward, who refuses. However, Squidward changes his mind when he hears that this means SpongeBob and Patrick will be gone. SpongeBob shows Squidward how to take care of Gary, but he isn't listening. When SpongeBob and Patrick go away, Squidward forgets all about Gary.
Three days later, he hears Gary meow, and realizes that he forgot the snail. He quickly tries to feed him, but Gary refuses to eat. SpongeBob calls the vet, and says Gary has to have an injection of snail Plasma. Squidward tries to poke the syringe into Gary while SpongeBob is holding him up, but SpongeBob keeps snatching Gary away, saying that Squidward is doing it too fast. He continues to do this, until Squidward accidentally injects SpongeBob. Squidward tells SpongeBob that nothing will happen to him, but something does. In the night, as SpongeBob tries to serve Gary some dinner, he eats all of it himself.(As his metabolisme was changed by the effects of the plasma.) When SpongeBob looks in a mirror, his eyes stretch, his arms and legs shrivel up and fall off, and his body stretches. He realizes that he is turning into a snail, and goes to Squidward for help. Squidward is terrified at the sight of the SpongeSnail and runs around his house trying to escape him. After a few minutes of this, he accidentally gets injected with the syringe and turns into a snail. In the next scene, Gary, SpongeSnail and SquidSnail are singing "Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow" (to the tune of "Yo ho blow the man down") and Patrick yells " Will you clam up?!" and throws a boot at "SquidSnail".
- This is one of the least seen episodes seen on TV, because it is paired with a holiday episode. Also possibly of SpongeBob's snail transformation being scary to younger viewers.
- On the following DVD containing this episode, there is a deleted scene depicting Squidward's transformation into a snail. It was later deleted.
- This the first appearance of Dr. Gill Gilliam.
- Dr. Gill Gilliam in this episode is the same as the one who treats SpongeBob in the 'Suds' episode. That means he is both a doctor and veterinarian. This is also revealed in the episode Once Bitten as a Snail Disease Expert and Snail Expert.
- The title of this episode refers to the 1957 Michael Landon film I Was a Teenage Werewolf.
- In this episode, SpongeBob tastes Gary's food. However, in the episode Missing Identity, he says, "I've been feeding this to Gary for years and I don't even know what it tastes like". Possibly because he was injected with the snail plasma and saw Gary's point of view.
- I Was A Teenage Gary was referenced in The Shaggy Dog (2006 film) and Hulk.
- When one of SpongeBob's hands got sucked back into his body, he said "That's okay, I am a lefty anyway." it was his left hand that disappeared.
- In the Filipino dub of the episode, the time card shown "3 Days Later" (in English) is narrated. However in the original English version, it is not.
|Season 1 Season 2 →|