Hall Monitor (Episode)
Insert non-formatted text here
|Airdate:|| August 28, 1999
Denmark:22 july 2002
|Next Episode:||Jellyfish Jam|
|SpongeBob SquarePants||Tom Kenny|
|Patrick Star||Bill Fagerbakke|
Hall Monitor is an episode from Season 1.
- Pomp and Circumstance (During SpongeBob's Speech)
After being selected Boating School Hall Monitor (after everyone else in class has been, sometimes twice), SpongeBob reads out a very long speech, and winds up wasting the entire day. Out of sympathy, Mrs. Puff allows SpongeBob to at least wear his cap and belt until the next day, though she suddenly has misgivings as she watches him go. SpongeBob immediately goes above and beyond the call of duty, first trying to guide traffic stuck at an out-of-order traffic light (and causing a massive pile-up), and then inadvertently igniting the rumor of Bikini Bottom's Open-Window Maniac. Then, SpongeBob finds Patrick littering his strawberry ice cream, and labels him as a criminal. When a front page newspaper headline alerts SpongeBob about the maniac causing trouble around town, he lets Patrick turn over a new leaf as a deputy. They end up getting ice cream twice (Patrick's idea of a scandal), but then SpongeBob and Patrick try and corner the maniac by splitting up and using walkie-talkies. Two policemen ask Patrick if he has seen the maniac: they show him a bad police sketch of SpongeBob. Darkness falls upon the town, quite literally, and Patrick becomes frightened. SpongeBob eventually meets up with Patrick again, but only via the walkie-talkie. Patrick spots the maniac from a distance, and reports his every move to SpongeBob, who of course believes the maniac is right on his tail. Shortly enough, SpongeBob realizes he himself is the maniac. The police are about to arrest SpongeBob, but Mrs. Puff tells the officers that he was her responsibility. Mrs. Puff must teach the next day's class via closed-circ.
- At first, Mrs. Puff was holding the hat and belt, but after SpongeBob’s speech, he has the hat and belt.
- When the police drive up to Patrick, both police fish's eyelids are green. But when they talk to him, the orange police fish's eyelids are orange.
- The song in the background when SpongeBob is giving his speech is the Pomp and Circumstance graduation theme.
- This is the first time Mrs. Puff gets arrested. The second will be No Free Rides.
- It is implied that SpongeBob has never been hall moniter. However, when he finishes his speech he says to Mrs. Puff, "I overdid the speech again, didn't I?"
- One of the names Mrs. Puff mentions at the beginning of the episode was Clayton, which is the name of Stephen Hillenburg's son.
- There is a chapter book to tie in with this episode.
- Believe it or not, this is actually the first appearance of Bikini Bottom.
|Season 1 Season 2 →|