The Paper (Episode)
|Airdate:||14 February 2000|
|Previous Episode:||Valentine's Day|
|SpongeBob SquarePants||Tom Kenny|
|Patrick Star||Bill Fagerbakke|
|Squidward Tentacles||Rodger Bumpass|
The Paper is an episode from Season 1.
Squidward throws a bubble gum wrapper on SpongeBob's lawn. When SpongeBob discovers it, he asks Squidward if he wants it back. However, Squidward tells SpongeBob he can have it. However, SpongeBob now tells him on the Shell Phone, and Squidward has his long and final persuasion to give the paper to SpongeBob "Take it SpongeBob, yes, take it please, I promise you no matter how much I may beg, and plead, and cry, don't give that paper back to me...Ever!" and SpongeBob agrees to confirm his promise. Squidward is about to play Mary Had a Little Lamb but SpongeBob is laughing about all the fun he is thinking about that he's going to soon have. He uses the paper to make a cape, pirate patch, origami, etcetera. Squidward decides to prove to SpongeBob that paper is not fun.
Squidward laughs and enjoys his own time reading Boring Science Digest, taking a bath, and drawing art. While drawing, Squidward accidentally paints himself having fun with a piece of paper. When he breaks it, the Squidward painting's mouth is open and invisibly cries by his death. Squidward watches him have lots and lots of fun until the Mary Had A Little Lamb duet.
Squidward tries to get it back but SpongeBob keeps his promise. Squidward trades in everything back, and finally his own shirt-cloth and SpongeBob cannot help and it decides to break his promise. Squidward tries to have fun with the paper but cannot, he traded everything for the worthless piece of paper for nothing and soon Patrick took the paper from Squidward and uses it to put his gum on it and Patrick comes over to SpongeBob to play.
Squidward is now all alone and the season is beginning to become winter. Then Squidward says, "Anybody have any sunscreen?"
- A character similar to Little Squiddy, Mini Squidward, appeared in the episode Squid Wood.
- SpongeBob says he will play A Minor, which means the music sounds sad, but it is in C Major.
- This episode possibly broke the fourth wall because SpongeBob had the papers showing Squidward proof of what he just said, meaning he took the papers out of the cartoon.
- This is the first episode in which an electric guitar is used in the title card.
- Squidward reading a book called "Boring Science" and saying it is fun may be a reference to a Bert and Ernie sketch where Bert reads a book called "Boring Stories" and chuckles "Wow! These Boring Stories are really exciting!"
- When Squidward talks about playing "Helicopter", he says "Gentlemen, start your engines!". This must be a reference to the command to start engines in NASCAR.
- This episode aired on August 11th or 12th right after the movie aired.
|Season 1 Season 2 →|