Culture Shock (Episode)
|Airdate:||18 September 1999|
|Previous Episode:||Opposite Day|
|SpongeBob SquarePants||Tom Kenny|
|Patrick Star||Bill Fagerbakke|
Culture Shock is an episode from season 1.
- Mr. Krabs
- Pearl Krabs
- Mother SquarePants
- Father SquarePants
- Residents of Bikini Bottom
The Krusty Krab has hit a rut in business, and Mr. Krabs decides that the restaurant needs a new gimmick to attract more customers. He, Squidward, and SpongeBob eventually decide upon a talent show. SpongeBob begs Squidward to let him perform on stage, and even shows him his various talents, but Squidward only gives him the job of cleaning up the set afterwards (SpongeBob believes this to be a good start to his acting career). Squidward, however, would headline the program.
On the show's night, most of the acts are complete failures. Squidward's act was interpretive dance number, the audience into complete riot. As he storms off the stage, SpongeBob appears on stage to clean the set. The audience cheers heavily for this new "act". Squidward, mistaking the applaud for his, goes back on stage, but as he does the audience turns silent. He then tries mopping the stage himself, but recieves even more negative reactions. Angry, Squidward gives up and storms off. As SpongeBob's "act" is a huge success, it inspires Mr. Krabs to arrange for another show, the following week.
- The talent show is originally slated to be an annual event, but by the episode's end Mr. Krabs begins planning for the next week's show. It is possible that the talent show became so popular because of SpongeBob that Mr. Krabs decided to change the show into a weekly event.
- This is the first Krusty Krab episode where SpongeBob makes no Krabby Patties.
- The only acts that were not failures were SpongeBob’s and Gary's.
- The recurring phrase "My Leg!" can be heard in this episode after Pearl's act.
- When SpongeBob saying that when a customer purchases a Krabby Patty, he/she will get a free pair of socks. When he suggested a "Double Patty Midnight Madness", he is still holding a tray of a Krabby Patty and a pair of socks.
- As part of a promotion for Jimmy Neutron, in the scene where Squdward tells the cast that this is his shot at the big time, Jimmy runs across the bottom of the screen, and causes all of the characters shown in the scene to have Jimmy's hairdo for a moment.
- Why would Mr. Krabs make something free if he wants money? One reason is that he wants customers, but still.
|Season 1 Season 2 →|