From SpongePedia, the First SpongeBob Wiki.
Mermaid Man Begins is an episode from Season 8.
When SpongeBob and Patrick are getting to watch the origins of their favorite superheros when a un-expecting storm ruins the fun they both must find a way to learn the stories of how their favorite superheroes became the legendary heroes they are today.
Mermaid Man argues that the story is that he falls asleep on a beach, and gets washed up by the waves, and gets sucked into a whirlpool. While he was running out of oxygen, mermaids give him a starfish on his nose so he can breathe underwater. Then, as Barnacle Boy is cleaning the barnacles on his captain's ship, he has to go underwater to get the ones on the bottom. While doing this, Mermaid Man makes Barnacle Boy's lungs nothing but barnacles from the boat, making him breathe underwater as well. And thus, they teamed up.
- This happens to be the strongest storm in town than the last one seen in SpongeHenge. It even took the homes of SpongeBob and Squidward away.
- Barnacle Boy was called Tim and Mermaid Man was named Ernie before they were superheroes. This is a reference to the voice actors that play them.
- Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy were exposed to tons of nuclear radiation, yet they became superheroes after eating overcooked popcorn.
- The title is a reference to the 2005 movie titled "Batman Begins".
- This is the last episode where Ernest Borgnine plays Mermaid Man alive, as he died on July 8,2012.