From SpongePedia, the First SpongeBob Wiki.
- Heavy metal band Pantera provided music for the episode. The song is called 'Pre-Hibernation' and is available on the CD 'SpongeBob SquarePants: Original Theme Highlights'. The riff used in the song can also be found in the song "Death Rattle" from the album Reinventing The Steel.
- Sandman song
At Sandy's Treedome, Sandy has a lot of work to do, and SpongeBob is helping her rake the leaves. She is fretting and worrying, and SpongeBob asks her why. She explains that she's going to be hibernating in a week (or seven days or 168 hours), so they have to get lots of work done quickly, so they can play and exercise because "she cannot burn carbs in her sleep". SpongeBob commits all the time he has not already given to Mr. Krabs to her. The two then do numerous outrageous extreme stunts like whacking each other on top of the Sea Needle. SpongeBob, being not as tough as Sandy, can barely avoid getting killed, and at one point is reduced to a literal puddle. He cannot escape doing these things, so he decides to hide under Patrick's rock. Sandy then runs to the Krusty Krab and makes everyone look for SpongeBob. But because they all have to look in horrible places (sulfur fields, poison sea urchin cove), they hide under Patrick's rock. Still frantic, Sandy starts overturning the town looking for SpongeBob. The people discover that SpongeBob is under the rock too and throw him out. Squidward Tentacles calls out, "Oh, look it is I, SpongeBob, out here in the open!" Sandy is relieved, mistakes the voice for SpongeBob, and gives him a bone-crushing hug. Then she goes crazy again and tries to get SpongeBob to go "atom smashing" before she hibernates, but the SpongeBob is exhausted from all the insane antics, and stands up for himself. Then Sandy falls asleep and SpongeBob is relieved. He falls asleep too. Then Patrick Star (who is eating ice cream and carrying a grocery bag) comes up to his rock house where the other residents of Bikini Bottom are hiding and wonders about all the people hiding in his house.
- On YTV airings when SpongeBob says "Life is as extreme as you wanna make it!" captions say "Life is extreme!" and he says "Woohoo!" twice.
- Sandy hibernates in this episode and also in Survival of the Idiots, but in the episode Bubble Buddy she migrated.
- Running gag: We see a professional skier dressed like a goody-goody two-shoes kid and holding a lollipop. He simply replies with, "uuh, I can explain."
- This is the first appearance of Kelp-O, SpongeBob's regular breakfast cereal.
- This is one of the ten episodes in which the title card has an animation. The others are SB-129, One Krab's Trash, Idiot Box, SpongeBob Meets the Strangler, Skill Crane, Karate Island, All that Glitters, The Donut of Shame and The Krabby Kronicle.
Episode Transcript: Pre-Hibernation Week