Lame and Fortune (Episode)
|Lame and Fortune|
|Airdate:||July 11, 2016|
|Next Episode:||Goodbye, Krabby Patty?|
|SpongeBob SquarePants||Tom Kenny|
|Squidward Tentacles||Rodger Bumpass|
|Mr. Krabs||Clancy Brown|
|Patrick Star||Bill Fagerbakke|
|Pearl Krabs||Lori Alan|
Lame and Fortune is an episode from Season 9.
The episode starts with a crane being lowered, looking as though the load is going to land onto a boat, but instead sinks into Bikini Bottom. SpongeBob and Gary are looking at clouds until they see the box full of fortune cookies before it lands on SpongeBob. Gary realizes that it is not a cloud, and decide to look inside where they find many fortune cookies. SpongeBob tries it with one of them, as does Gary. Before coming to the conclusion that they can indeed accurately predict the future, giving SpongeBob an idea to sell them at the Krusty Krab.
SpongeBob then takes them to the Krusty Krab where he tries to convince Mr. Krabs to give them away with every purchase but Mr. Krabs shuts down his idea. Squidward backs him up by saying that they are lame and that fortune cookies never come true. SpongeBob tells Squidward to try one, and when he opens it, it reads, "You will be rewarded for your particular talents." Squidward is presumably about to say how that will not happen before he wins the "most miserable cashier in Bikini Bottom" contest. He then gets a cash prize, which gets immediately purloined by Mr. Krabs. Soon after Mr. Krabs snatches Squidward's prize, SpongeBob assures Mr. Krabs about selling his magical cookies, which flips his thoughts about selling them, and decides to share them with the folks of Bikini Bottom.
Plankton finds out that this is happening and says Mr. Krabs is assured he is going to fail. Karen then yells for Plankton, causing him to crash into the Chum Bucket. She then asks if he could take out the trash. But he told Karen he had a plan to make fortunes that say bad things about the Krusty Krab. He then makes the fortunes. As soon as he finishes making fortunes, there was another can full of cookies but he destroyed it. As soon as SpongeBob took the cookies, the customers get fortunes that falsely advertise the Chum Bucket and slander the Krusty Krab.
Later, Plankton creates another fortune that says Mr. Krabs will die unless he gives up the Krabby Patty formula. Mr. Krabs is very shocked to see that. Then Mr. Krabs has a vision of what will happen if he dies. After his thought, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs agree to give Plankton the formula. Back at the Chum Bucket, Karen is giving the customers some Chumbalaya but even though the customers find it disgusting, they still eat it due to the fake fortunes. Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob both make it to the Chum Bucket to deliver the formula to Plankton. SpongeBob tries to give Plankton the formula but it falls down and Mr. Krabs all of a sudden grabs the formula. Plankton then tells everyone to get out of the restaurant because he wrote the fake fortunes. Mr. Krabs then gives him one fortune cookie. The fortune says:
- You will go on a long voyage where you will get everything you deserve.
Plankton is then taken to a different restaurant called Chinese food where a live-action customer eats him.
- This episode premiered in Israel on July 7, 2016 (4 days before the United States).
- This is the first premiere episode to have the new HD theme song. However, this is not the first episode to show it. The HD version was shown on "Eek, an Urchin!" rerun on the July 9, 2016 airing.
- This is the first episode to use a CGI model of the Bikini Atoll island.
- The ships and boxes were also CGI.
- It is revealed that Mr. Krabs values his life more the Krabby Patty Secret Formula.
- One of Kevin C. Cucumber's legs make a brief appearance in the Chum Bucket when Plankton is trying to get the secret formula bottle.
- This is Squidward's 300th appearance in the series.
- This is Betsy Krabs' first appearance since "Spongicus" in Season 6.
- This is also Grandpa Redbeard's first appearance since "Grandpappy the Pirate."
- This is Grandpa Redbeard's second appearance in the series.
- This is the second time SpongeBob pressures Squidward into eating something. The first was in "Just One Bite."
- This is the second time Plankton is seen on the surface. The first was in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.
- This is the fifth time an episode ends with Plankton being eaten. The first time was in "F.U.N.," the second was in "Banned in Bikini Bottom," the third time was in "20,000 Patties Under the Sea," and the fourth was in "Frozen Face-Off."
- This is the fourth time Squidward has been referred to as an octopus. The first was in "The Play's the Thing," the second was in "Sweet and Sour Squid," and the third was in "Patrick! The Game."
- This is the second time SpongeBob has been trampled by the customers. The first was in "The Original Fry Cook."
- This episode takes place before "Have You Seen This Snail?" and possibly "Born to Be Wild" because this is the episode that Lenny and Mable-Monica fall in love and in Have You Seen This Snail? they are shown to be dating or married.
- This is the fourth time something has been dropped into Bikini Bottom. The first time was in the episode "Frankendoodle," being the Magic Pencil, the second time in "Truth or Square," being the pineapple that SpongeBob lives in, and the third in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, being the page ripped off the Magic Book that said THE END.
- The "MY LEG" gag is obviously referenced in this episode, when Ivy gets a fortune saying "You will soon injure your legs," and a piano crashes down on his legs. He also screams "My legs!" after the piano crashes.
- This is the second time Ivy gets injured at the Krusty Krab. The first was in "Stuck in the Wringer."
- In the Polish dub, the episode's title is "Ciastko z wróżbą" (Fortune Cookie).
 International Airdates
- July 7, 2016 (Israel)
- August 5, 2016 (Canada)
- November 28, 2016 (Germany & Poland)
- December 10, 2016 (France)
- January 13, 2017 (Southeast Asia)
|← Season 8 Season 9 →Season 10|