Squidward in Clarinetland (Episode)
|Squidward in Clarinetland|
|Airdate:||24 March 2010|
|Previous Episode:||The Curse of Bikini Bottom|
|Next Episode:||SpongeBob's Last Stand|
|SpongeBob SquarePants||Tom Kenny|
"Squidward in Clarinetland" is an episode from Season 7.
Squidward is unusually happy, even when he is slammed in the face by SpongeBob. But then a baby drools on his clarinet, which he was going to use clarinet recital auditions after work. He demands a safe place to put belongings while working at the Krusty Krab by showing a manual filled with Bikini Bottom's Labor Regulations, which Mr. Krabs is allergic to. So Krabs gives him his rusty old locker from the Navy to share with SpongeBob. Inside the locker is a pile of bones, which Krabs throws out, mentioning he "forgot all about that prank". SpongeBob throughly cleans the locker and prepares it for Squidward, who tells him not to touch his clarinet. Later, SpongeBob redecorates the inside of the locker like a library despite its size, but Squidward cannot find his clarinet because the place where the catalog card says it is does not have it there. Soon he finds a door, and a stage and behind it, and behind that stage, he discovers a world that is made of clarinets. Squidward must find SpongeBob with his stolen clarinet, only to meet the Clarinetland Bird. The bird eats Squidward, and he has to go through a series of events in its stomach, including being inside a SpongeBob-themed pinball game Patrick is playing, to finally get his clarinet and get out. Squidward gets out of the locker and stuffs SpongeBob in it. He throws the locker into a bus going far far away. But when Squidward is auditioning, he opens his clarinet carrying case and SpongeBob pops out. Then Squidward runs away. SpongeBob holds up Squidward's clarinet and says he just wanted to give it to him.
- The title is a pun on Alice in Wonderland.
- When Squidward and SpongeBob go through the locker, through the room of shelves, and into Clarinetland, it is similar to "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", when the children have to pass through the wardrobe to get into Narnia.
- Somehow, only the bird's head is shown, and apparently it is still able to eat Squidward.
- The photographer/film director from Picture Day and Model Sponge appears for the third time.
- The Clarinetland Bird is just a giant Bald Eagle head sticking out of the ground.
- This particular episode plays on concepts of surrealism, examples of this being the majority of Squidward's escapades in which he enters and/or exits a certain room in a way that is logically or architecturally (often both) impossible. Additionally, the locker itself exemplifies the surreal basis of the episode, as it itself is its own dimension containing its own illogically structured dimensions.
- The German title is Im Klarinettenland, which means In the Clarinetland.
|← Season 6 Season 7 Season 8 →|