Legend of the Lost Spatula
Legend of the Lost Spatula is a SpongeBob video game that was released on 14 March 2001 for the Game Boy Color. This is the first SpongeBob video game.
- Mr. Krabs
- Larry the Lobster
- Mrs. Puff
- Mermaid Man
- The Flying Dutchman
- SpongeBob's Block
- Goo Lagoon
- Sandy's Park
- Outer Town
- Jellyfish Fields
- The Carnival
- Kelpazoic Jungle
- Undersea Desert
- Rock Bottom
- Dutch Under
During SpongeBob's time in Jellyfish Fields, he ran into what appears to be a statue of a fry cook standing on an oven. SpongeBob then ran into the Krusty Krab to show Mr. Krabs of the statue, then Mr. Krabs tells him the statue was actually the entrance to the Flying Dutchman's underworld. Mr. Krabs then told SpongeBob of an old legend, that in the city of Palm Bay, there lived a master fry cook who ruled with the Golden Spatula. But Mt. Kabloovious buried Palm Bay, which ended the civilization. Then the Flying Dutchman took over the city and his first mate buried the key somewhere in Goo Lagoon. Then Mr. Krabs also said that if SpongeBob manages to obtain the Golden Spatula, he will become the master fry cook. So SpongeBob sets out on an adventure.
SpongeBob then travels to Goo Lagoon to find the key. He eventually finds an anchor and dives along with it, which he crashes through the bottom of Goo Lagoon and finds a treasure chest. He then obtains a treasure map that shows where the keys known as oven knobs to the underworld are hidden. There are four keys in total, hidden in four different places. These four places are: Jellyfish Fields, The Carnival, Kelpazoic Jungle, and the Undersea Desert. SpongeBob travels to all four of those places, eventually gaining access to the underworld.
He unlocks the door of the statue then accidentally falls in, and ends up in Rock Bottom. After passing through the dark city, he stumbles upon a hole which finally leads to the Flying Dutchman's Underworld. SpongeBob then climbs from the inferno cavern to a sunken ship which he finds the Flying Dutchman. The two battled and SpongeBob defeats him. Then he finally found the Golden Spatula and brings it to the Krusty Krab. He was then known as the master fry cook and the Krusty Krab made a success.
The player assumes the role of SpongeBob SquarePants and travels around Bikini Bottom. His health system consist of his clothes, for example: If SpongeBob takes damage, he loses his pants, leaving him in his underpants. If he takes damage again, he loses his underpants, leaving him embarassed with no clothes. The player is then warped into the area where SpongeBob entered. There is a third health point by talking to Mrs. Puff, the player then obtains the Hall Monitor uniform, increasing SpongeBob's maximum health points to three. The player could talk to people for hints and what to do next. Some people give the player a small task to complete in order to receive a special item. There is also a password save system, meaning that if the player desires to save, the player must write down the password from the pause menu. Then the next time the player starts up the game, the password must be typed in again if the player desires to load the latest save log.
 Menu Controls
- D-Pad: Choose
- A Button: Accept
- B Button: Cancel
 SpongeBob Controls
- D-Pad: Move SpongeBob left or right; talk to people; open treasure chests; squat.
- A Button: Use item
- B Button: Jump
- Start Button: Pause Menu: The player can choose to restart from the beginning of the current area, quit the game, or view the save password.
- Select Button: Safety First Menu: The player can choose to view missions, check the map, or equip items.
- Hold Up on D-Pad, then Select Button: Utility Belt Menu
 Main Items
SpongeBob uses different items to help him through his adventure. Here is a list of items.
- Bubble Wand - SpongeBob's primary item. He can blow bubbles that will make enemies flee.
- Jellyfish Net - SpongeBob's secondary item. He can catch jellyfish and scallops.
- Ol' Reliable - A stronger version of the Jellyfish Net. He can catch other enemies he couldn't catch before. Obtained after finding Patrick's Shorts and return it to him.
- Net Launcher - Found in Goo Lagoon. He can engulf enemies in nets to defeat them.
- Moon Man Catcher - A stronger version of the Net Launcher, built with infinite net ammo. Obtained after finding Sandy's Hat and return it to her.
- Spatula - Found in Goo Lagoon. He can fling krabby patties at his foes to chew on them, leaving them stunned.
- Hydro Dynamic Spatula - A stronger version of the Spatula, built with infinite Krabby Patty Ammo. Obtained after delivering the pizza to the customer in the Kelpazoic Jungle and giving Mr. Krabs the money.
- Glasses - Dropped by Squidward. Special X-Ray Glasses that will let SpongeBob see through treasure chests before opening them. Obtained after bringing Squidward some jelly.
- Spring Shoes - Found in Goo Lagoon. SpongeBob can jump higher with these shoes.
- Power Ring - A special item received from Mermaid Man. Grants SpongeBob infinite health points and improved running and jumping power.
 Equipment Items
- Pair of Pants - These increase SpongeBob's health point by one.
- Hall Monitor Uniform - Received from Mrs. Puff. Increases SpongeBob's maximum health point to three.
- Hall Monitor Badge - These increase SpongeBob's health point by two.
- Net Ammo - Ammo for the Net Launcher.
- Krabby Patties - Ammo for the Spatula.
 Other Items
- Jellyfish Hive - Found in Jellyfish Fields. This hive contains all-natural Jellyfish jelly.
- Patrick's Shorts - Found in The Carnival. Patrick's favorite shorts that was lost at the carnival.
- Sandy's Hat - Found in Undersea Desert. Sandy's favorite hat that was taken by a dastardly crook in the desert.
 Important Items
- Oven Knob - There are four oven knobs in all. SpongeBob needs those oven knobs to unlock the entrance of the statue.
- Golden Spatula - A legendary spatula that will make whoever wields it a master fry cook.
There are some character who causes SpongeBob trouble. Here is a list of enemies.
- Jellyfishes, Scallop - They fly around in some places. They can be caught with the Jellyfish Net.
- Bubble Bass, Beach Bullies, Sneezy Fish - They appear to just walk around and bump SpongeBob when he goes in contact with them. They can be defeated with a bubble or a net launcher. They can also be temporarily stunned with a single Krabby Patty.
- Clams - They will eat and spit out SpongeBob only when their mouths are opened.
- Urchins - They circle around slowly in places. They can also be caught with the Jellyfish Net.
There are stronger enemies known as bosses, who guard the oven knobs. Here is a list of bosses.
- Mother Jellyfish - A giant jellyfish found in JellyFish Fields. The Jellyfish will fly around and electrocute SpongeBob badly. SpongeBob can blow five bubbles to trap the jellyfish inside a huge bubble.
- Jungle Fish - A tarzan-like fish who resides in Kelpazoic Jungle. He will jump up on the roof and start throwing shells. SpongeBob will need to weaken him with four bubbles. When he is weakened enough, SpongeBob should trap him with his net launcher.
- Cowboy Fish - A fish that waits in the Undersea Desert to challenge anyone to a duel. He will jump around and squirt ketchup bottles at SpongeBob. SpongeBob needs to feed him five Krabby Patties to stuff him.
- The Flying Dutchman - The final boss of the game. He is lurking in his underworld, guarding the Golden Spatula, and will attack anyone who dares enter his room. He will attack by dropping objects on SpongeBob. SpongeBob should stuff him with five Krabby Patties to tire him out.
This game has received mixed to negative reviews. IGN rated this game 6 out of 10, complimenting for large levels, mutiple objectives, and the amusement from characters. But critizied it for password save system and its level design. GameSpot rated this game 3.8 out of 10, being negative about its simplified gameplay and lack of variety. But praised for its graphics and thought of it as a decent platformer game.
- This game references some episodes:
- Ripped Pants: When SpongeBob talks to some people at Goo Lagoon after obtaining the map, they will ask if he is okay, then he shows his ripped pants and responds that he is not okay because of his said pants.
- Pizza Delivery: When SpongeBob talks to Mr. Krabs after getting the map, Mr. Krabs then tells SpongeBob to deliver a pizza to an explorer at Kelpazoic Jungle. Also, the Undersea Desert resembles the desert that SpongeBob and Squidward were stranded in from the said episode.
- Hall Monitor: When SpongeBob talks to Mrs. Puff for the first time, He receives the Hall Monitor uniform. If SpongeBob talks to her again, she will say a line directly from the said episode, "You can't make this easy, can you?".