|Airdate:||9 March 2001|
|Previous Episode:||The Smoking Peanut|
|Next Episode:||Gary Takes a Bath|
|SpongeBob SquarePants||Tom Kenny|
|Patrick Star||Bill Fagerbakke|
|Squidward Tentacles||Rodger Bumpass|
- Flying Dutchman
- Bikini Bottom Citizens
- Tough Guy
- Potty the Parrot
- Patchy the Pirate
It is an average day in Bikini Bottom, until a giant anchor demolishes SpongeBob's pineapple house and Squidward Tentacles' Easter Island head. Squidward climbs the rope, ready to complain. SpongeBob goes too, as does Patrick. They find out that the ship belongs to the Flying Dutchman, and they are forced to be part of his crew forever.
Squidward is sent to "The Fly of Despair" (A huge zipper that is gateway to a nightmarish abstract dimension) for his sarcastic remarks, while SpongeBob and Patrick have to help the Flying Dutchman scare people. They cannot do it and Patrick's poor steering also causes extensive damage to the Dutchman's ship and he ultimately decides to eat them. They're locked in their room, and the Flying Dutchman decides to eat them. So they escape through the perfume department. They take the Flying Dutchman's dining sock because he can't eat without wearing it. SpongeBob and the Flying Dutchman fight for the sock, tug 'o war style, but when it is about to reach its elastic limit, the Flying Dutchman decides to grant them three wishes.
The episode ends with Sponge, Pat and Squid turned into fruit and the vegetarian Dutchman chasing them around his ship, which the ship was turned into a hippie van.
- This episode was originally aired as part of a special entitled "You Wish" where viewers could call in and vote for the ending. It later aired with the Patchy segments edited, with the chosen ending only and was paired with Gary Takes a Bath. On the Season 2 box set and Sea Stories DVDs, the edited version was included as You Wish/Shanghaied and the latter DVD includes the alternate endings as bonus features. The "You Wish" special as originally aired but with the 800 number censored is included on The First 100 SpongeBob Episodes DVD as "Shanghaied (with Alternate Endings)".
- There are three alternate endings to this episode. The main ending is where SpongeBob wishes that the Dutchman was a vegetarian with the result that they are turned into fruit. The other endings include Patrick wishing for eternal minty fresh gum, and Squidward wishing that he never knew SpongeBob and Patrick which simply causes him to make their acquaintance all over again. The SpongeBob ending is the main ending as chosen by viewers and the only one that doesn't end with The Flying Dutchman eating SpongeBob, Patrick, and Squidward.
- This was the first ever SpongeBob special to be shorter than a double length (22 minutes), but longer than a regular episode (5-11 minutes), at a length of 16 minutes.
- The episode's name originates from the Chinese city, Shanghai, a common destination of ships with abducted crews in the 1800s.
- This episode aired on March 7, 2001, then it was released on the third SpongeBob SquarePants DVD volume, Sea Stories, which was also the fourth SpongeBob SquarePants VHS volume, which only featured Patchy the Pirate in VHS copies of the volume, and re-aired as a Patchy the Pirate special in 2003. This could be the third direct-to-video episode.
- This episode was banned in the UK. 7 years later on October 31, 2008 this episode was aired in the UK along with episode Gary Takes a Bath.
- Squidward warns SpongeBob that they're about to get eaten, although he hasn't been with SpongeBob and Patrick, when the Flying Dutchman told them that they are going to be eaten.
|← Season 1 Season 2 Season 3 →|