Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V (Episode)
|Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V|
|Airdate:||1 June 2002|
|Previous Episode:||Chocolate With Nuts|
|Next Episode:||New Student Starfish|
|SpongeBob SquarePants||Tom Kenny|
|Patrick Star||Bill Fagerbakke|
|Squidward Tentacles||Rodger Bumpass|
|Sandy Cheeks||Carolyn Lawrence|
|Mr. Krabs||Clancy Brown|
" Mermaidman and Barnacleboy V" is an episode from Season 3.
Mermaidman and Barnacleboy are holding up the line at the Krusty Krab, trying to decide what to order. Finally, Mermaidman orders a Krabby Patty and a Pipsqueak (child's) Patty for Barnacleboy. Barnacleboy demands an adult-sized burger, claiming that since he is very old, he should no longer be treated as a child. But when Mermaidman and the Krusty Krab patrons begin to tease him, Barnacleboy breaks his friendship with Mermaidman and joins Man Ray and the Dirty Bubble to form a villainous group known as E.V.I.L. (Every Villain is Lemons).
Mermaidman cannot defeat this new threat on his own, and he recruits SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward and Sandy to reform the International Justice League of Super Acquaintances (They were going to order pizza but Mermaidman falls down). They attack E.V.I.L. at a teenage gathering spot called Make out Reef. Despite numerous advantages, the incompetent Super Acquaintances defeat themselves. SpongeBob was defeated by Squidward and defeats Patrick. Mermaidman mistakes Squidward for SpongeBob and washes him up (water is the weakness of fire). Sandy defeats herself by not noticing the boat behind her coming to hit her off the cliff.
Having "defeated" the heroes, Barnacleboy demands three things of Mermaidman: That he be treated as a superhero, and not a sidekick; that he is called "Barnacle Man"; and that he will finish an adult-sized Krabby Patty. He then immediately rejoins the side of good, though when the heroes return to the Krusty Krab, Barnacleboy admits that he cannot eat an entire Krabby Patty. Everyone laughs throughout the ending (the gang, ManRay,the guy who kissed his pillow, Dirty Bubble, and the chief).
- This episode parodies the Justice League and the Super Friends. Each member of the IJLSA is a send-up of a well-known superhero: the Elastic Waistband (Patrick) is a parody of Mr. Fantastic, Captain Magma (Squidward) is a parody of the Human Torch, Miss Appear (Sandy) is a parody of the Invisible Woman, and The Quickster (SpongeBob) is a parody of The Flash.
- When Barnacleboy decides to turn evil, he says, "I'm crossing over to the Dark Side." An obvious reference to Star Wars.
- In the TV show, Dirty Bubble said "Did you hear him say anything about eating dirt?" However, in the comic book Bikini Bottom's Most Wanted, he said "Did you hear him say anything about world domination?"
- Barnacle Boy, ManRay, and the Dirty Bubble are the villains.
- Martin Olson guest voices.
- This is the last episode to use the classic "Mermaidman and Barnacleboy" styled title cards. For Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture, a new title card is used.
- After Mermaidman yells, "To Make-Out Reef," he falls back in his chair, with chair coming down with him. But when the Elastic Waistband says, "Does this mean we're not getting pizza," if you look closely, you will see his chair is standing back up.
- There is no driver of the boat that hits Sandy. This is not possible, or the boat wouldn't have hit her either.
- Tom Kenny, the voice of SpongeBob, voices the Dirty Bubble in this episode.
- Mermaidman gets an entire hole in his body, but then it recovers.
- The size of Dirty Bubble keeps changing even when he swallows the entire Nautical Bank. He also becomes smaller at the end.
- The Dirty Bubble still returned in this episode although in he was popped in the second Mermaidman and Barnacleboy episode.
- Man Ray should have been laughing when he was doing bad things because of what happened in Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III.
- The dark side does not appear anymore when Barnacleboy says he will join the side.
- Captain Magma yells "Krakatoa" before he attacks. Krakatoa was a volcano that erupted and collapsed in the summer of 1883, now replaced by Anak Krakatu (Son of Krakatoa).
- The company that owns Nickelodeon, Viacom, is mentioned in this episode.
- If Mermaidman is getting the ice cream while he looks at Barnacleboy, how did he not notice?
- How can the Dirty Bubble get the bank stuck in him if he doesn't pop when he touched it?
- Best Frenemies Easter Egg: If you look closely at the menu at the Krusty Krab, you can see KelpShakes on the menu!
- Pearl (cameo)
- SpongeBob (The Quickster)
- Patrick (Elastic Waistband)
- Sandy (Miss Appear)
- Squidward (Captain Magma)
- Mermaid Man
- Barnacle Boy (Barnacle Man)
- Dirty Bubble
- Mr. Krabs
- The Chief
Transcript and Song
- Episode Transcript: Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V
- The Ramblin' Man from Grambling (Background music)
|← Season 2 Season 3 Season 4 →|