The Endless Summer
|The Endless Summer|
|Airdate:||June 20, 2005|
The Endless Summer was an educational SpongeBob short that showed the dangers and effects of global warming. It aired on 20 June 2005.
The cartoon starts with Mr. Krabs has a car that spews exhust fumes through a giant chimney on top of the Krusty Krab to cause an "endless summer" so customers come to his year-round swimming pool behind the Krusty Krab (admission: $1.00). SpongeBob is enthusiastic from the idea and supports it by burning tires, and the carbon dioxide emissions significantly boost. After seeing tons of cars, after realizing his wax figures are melting, he realized that Bikini Bottom has become not only a hot wasteland, but an inferno. The sudden heat surprises Mr. Krabs, but many fish have come and Mr. Krabs is in the pool of water with SpongeBob. As he learns of Patrick, however, that everyone is leaving and are all moving north due to all the heat through the city, Krabs is horrified. SpongeBob makes a cannonball into the pool, but the water ends up evaporating and he hits the ground hard. All the people in Bikini Bottom went, except SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs, and the cartoon ends.
- The title spoofs the name from a 1966 movie of the same name.
- This is the first instance of global warming in Bikini Bottom.
- This episode is not part of the SpongeBob canon because in the end, the Bikini Bottomites evacuated the city and left.
- This is the only educational short.
- There is a book (which is also educational) with a plot similar to this. It is called "SpongeBob Goes Green".
- It is unknown if The Endless Summer is an episode from Season 4 or a part of the special features of Season 4.
- Like many other SpongeBob episodes, fire is shown underwater despite the fact that it's impossible