Can You Spare a Dime? (Episode)
|Can You Spare a Dime?|
|Airdate:||8 March 2002|
|Previous Episode:||As Seen on TV|
|Next Episode:||No Weenies Allowed|
|SpongeBob SquarePants||Tom Kenny|
|Squidward Tentacles||Rodger Bumpass|
|Mr. Krabs||Clancy Brown|
"Can You Spare a Dime" is an episode from Season 3.
When Mr. Krabs accused Squidward for stealing Mr. Krabs' first dime, he quits his job. SpongeBob confronts him to tell him about the dangers of the outside world, and insists that if Squidward ever needs anything, he can seek help from him. Squidward assures SpongeBob that he will be better off not working at the Krusty Krab. A day passes and SpongeBob encounters Squidward once more, this time very scruffy-looking in a small cardboard box in an alley. SpongeBob takes Squidward into his own home, and Squidward becomes so dependent on SpongeBob that SpongeBob soon finds himself a full-time servant of Squidward. SpongeBob makes several obvious hints to Squidward so he will get a job but Squidward remains oblivious until SpongeBob explodes and runs to the Krusty Krab (along with Squidward, who is still in bed). SpongeBob begs Squidward to come back to work. Although at first Mr. Krabs forbids it, the missing dime later falls out of his back pocket and he allows Squidward to return. When Squidward arrives, Mr. Krabs accuses him of putting the dime in his pocket. They argue once more, and SpongeBob braces himself to become Squidward's servant once again.
- The magazine Dance Quarterly is heard first in this episode.
- The title "Can You Spare a Dime?" was going to be "Down & Out in Bikini Bottom" before it was changed.
- This is the second time SpongeBob got mad at Squidward. The first time was in Pizza Delivery.
- When SpongeBob gave Mr. Krabs a dime so Squidward could come back to work, Mr. Krabs used a device to see if it was really his first dime. Why would Mr. Krabs use that device if his dime is a hundred times bigger?
- While SpongeBob is doing the Puppet Show, there was a colored paper behind the puppets. However, when they showed SpongeBob with the puppets, there was no paper.
- The hat on Mr. Krabs's desk had 2 stripes on the anchor instead of 1.
- The episode's title is a reference and parody to the 1900s Great Depression phrase, Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?.
- Squidward says the phrase "What are you saying?" 3 times in the episode.
- How can a dime so big fit in Mr. Krabs' pants or the register?
- Second appearance of The Box.
- The episode title is a somewhat parody of Bing Crosby's Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
- If Squidward ate his paintings, how did they get in his stomach if they couldn't fit through his throat? And one is seen in his stomach, then the next scene shows it's gone.
- When Squidward strangles Mr. Krabs' eyes become very unstable, this is similar to The Simpsons while Homer strangles Bart saying "Why you little...!" in episode Wedding for Disaster.
- The working title for this episode is Quitting before it was finalized.
|← Season 2 Season 3 Season 4 →|