Patrick SmartPants (Episode)
|Airdate:||October 21, 2005|
|Previous Episode:||Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture|
|Next Episode:||SquidBob TentaclePants|
|SpongeBob SquarePants||Tom Kenny|
|Patrick Star||Bill Fagerbakke|
|Squidward Tentacles||Rodger Bumpass|
|Sandy Cheeks||Carolyn Lawrence|
Patrick SmartPants is an episode from Season 4.
SpongeBob and Patrick are jellyfishing in Jellyfish Fields until Patrick falls into the Brain Coral Fields. SpongeBob sees what is wrong and places Patrick's head back on and he suddenly possesses greater intellect and greater intelligence. This eventually tears their friendship apart because they both want to do different things. Patrick tries to help people such as Sandy and Squidward but Patrick becomes more hated, because of his arrogant attitude. Eventually, Patrick tells SpongeBob that they have to go separate ways and both are sad.
Then Patrick wants to try to become friends with SpongeBob again by using science. This is unsuccessful and then Patrick tells SpongeBob to tell him when the fun went away. So Patrick falls off the cliff into the Brain Coral fields and duplicates his actions. SpongeBob looks around for Patrick's head and they find a Brain Coral Field where brain coral lies. SpongeBob gets Patrick's real head and Patrick is back to normal!
- The first few times this episode was shown, it had scrolling captions. This was later changed.
- Smart Patrick is so upset that he makes a solution to get SpongeBob back he makes his hair grow, just so that he can pull it out in his anger. This is ironically the answer to Squidward's dream to have hair.
- Patrick calls SpongeBob "Robert" (the name "Bob" is short for "Robert"), which indicates that SpongeBob's real name may be SpongeRobert SquarePants. However, Robert as his full name was not confirmed by Stephen Hillenburg. Also, in the scene where Patrick is in Sandy's treedome, Patrick calls her "Sandra", which indicates that Sandy's real name may be Sandra Cheeks, as "Sandy" is short for "Sandra". However, Sandra as her full name was not confirmed by Hillenburg either. There could always be the possibility that SpongeBob and Sandy's parents wanted their names to be the short versions, and not short for anything in their particular cases.
- SpongeBob and Patrick both have a talent for belch-talking.
- This is the second time Plankton appears without Mr. Krabs. The first was Walking Small.
- In the scene where Patrick is sitting and meditating on top of his rock, the burning sticks around him are called incense.
- Plankton makes a cameo in this episode, saying, "I'll show you subspecies!"
- This is the first episode pair to end with the word pants in both episodes.
- SpongeBob's burp-talking from this episode was used in the Burping Contest during Kid's Choice Awards 2009.
- When Patrick leaves Squidward's house, SpongeBob's house isn't seen.
- This episode is sort of like Breath of Fresh Squidward; in both episdoes, something about a character becomes the opposite.
- Despite the joke about strumming a jellyfish, this is actually the second time a jellyfish has been strummed. The first was in Jellyfish Jam.
- The scene where Patrick falls off the cliff is reminiscent of the Looney Tunes Road Runner cartoons where the Coyote falls from a cliff.
|← Season 3 Season 4 Season 5 →|